Other inclusions on the draft list are consistent gender options for pregnancy and royalty, 'heart hands', and the ability to choose from 15 different handshake combinations.
With #WorldEmojiDay on 📅 July 17, we take a look at what the next emoji update might bring.
As this is only a draft emoji list, each emoji is subject to change prior to final approval in September 2021.
Designs shown here are Emojipedia Sample Images, just one way in which these emojis might look. Actual vendor designs will vary from those released by major vendors, and Emojipedia's own sample images may also be updated when Emoji 14.0 final is released.
📲 New Emojis
Expect to see more about this later in the year when the final version of Unicode 14.0 and Emoji 14.0 is released on September 14.
In past years, the majority of draft emoji candidates end up included on the final list. This list in particular has been worked on for a longer period of time, after Unicode 14.0 was delayed due to COVID-19.
A few notes on some of the entries:
- Hand with Index Finger and Thumb Crossed can serve as either the finger heart gesture popular with K-Pop fans, or any other gesture that uses the index finger and thumb, such as 'money'.
- Coral is commonly used as an icon to discuss climate change, given the impact of rising global temperatures on coral reefs.
- Person with Crown is a gender-inclusive alternative to the existing emojis for 👸 Princess and 🤴 Prince.
- Pregnant Man and Pregnant Person are new, and recognize that pregnancy is possible for some transgender men and non-binary people. These are additions to the existing 🤰 Pregnant Woman emoji.
- The above additions will mean that nearly all emojis can have default a gender neutral option, with choice to use a woman or man where relevant. A few exceptions remain, which are being reviewed, as per this Unicode Emoji Subcommittee report from 2020.
- Face with Open Eyes and Hand Over Mouth is intended fix an issue where the existing emoji 🤭 Face with Hand Over Mouth appears to be laughing on most platforms, but shows with serious (non-'smiling') eyes on Apple devices, leading to confusion of intent in tweets like this:
🗓 Emoji Timeline
When will you get the new emojis? Two parts to this:
- It is yet to be confirmed which emojis are in the final version of Emoji 14.0. The final version is likely to resemble this draft list, and no new emojis will be added at this stage. But there's always a remote possibility of a change or removal ahead of September
- Release dates for emoji support always vary by operating system, app, or device.
Expect to see some companies come out with early emoji support in late 2021, and the majority of updates to take place in the first half of 2022.
Many other Android phones, including Samsung devices, still don't have emojis from that release, potentially as a result of Unicode's new release schedule.
🗳 Vote Now
Voting is now open for the Most Anticipated Emoji award.
This isn't a part of the approval process, just a fun way to gauge which draft emojis people are most keen to use. So get voting, and the winner will be revealed on July 17 aka World Emoji Day.